Tuesday, September 9, 2008

New Burberry campaign

So it looks like the rock inspired Agyness Deyn adverts for Burberry have been replaced by a more romantic campaign to suit the new A/W 08/09 featuring Sam Riley and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. 

Despite my rock and roll tendencies, I am really happy about the change for 2 reasons:

I'm not a big Agyness Detn fan. (However, when flicking through the latest 'Pop' magazine I came across the fab photoshoot of her falling through the air and thought it was amazing.)


Secondly, I heart Sam Riley! I have been a fan of his for quite a while. 
Around 4 years ago, just after I had started at uni my flatmate and I decided to go see Pete Docherty's new band Babyshambles at a club in Dundee of little consequence to anyone except those who had ever been. 
It was Babyshambles first tour so they hadn't built up a fanbase yet and most people attending were Libertines enthusiasts like myself. We turned up and went down the front for the supporting band '10,000 things'. 
I ended up having a conversation with him when he was on-stage and then later on in the audience waiting for Babyshambles to come on. Great gig! 


Then last year, Control - a film about Ian Curtis of Joy Division came out with Riley taking the leading role. 2 motivations for seeing the film as Joy Division are one of my favourite bands of all time and I had had conversations with Riley. The film was so gripping with, of course an amazing soundtrack and fantastic performances. 

It seems Burberry's main man himself Christopher Bailey is also a major fan of Riley's: "When I saw him in Control, he just completely blew me away and it just felt like a perfect fit for Burberry and the mood of this campaign."

No comments: