Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rocky future for Aquascutum.

Aquascutum's entire workforce of 343 (mainly made up of their Corby factory workers), has just been put into consultation. The luxury British brand's Chief Executive Kim Winser departed a few weeks ago after years of consecutive losses.

Parent company Renown confirmed they have signed a "letter of intent" with their Chinese distributor YGM Trading, as a potential buyer of the business. Whether or not YGM Trading decide to pursue a bid of the company will effectively determine the continuation of the brand.


I would be really sad to see the brand dissolve, as speculation suggests. The London based clothing brand is 158 years old and I associate it's British roots in the same breath as Burberry or Pringle. I also particularly loved this season's 'kissing' campaign shot by Vogue favourite, Tim Walker:

"I've wanted to shoot Aquascutum for some time, so working on the spring/summer 2009 campaign has been great,"

"Michael Herz, Aquascutum's head of womenswear and design, and I... worked together on the concept of the group kiss. I hope it captures something of the romance, nostalgia and freshness of the brand."

No comments: