Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sandra Backlund knitwear.

I discovered the almost sculptural work of Swedish knitwear designer Sandra Backlund  a while back and immediately forwarded it on to my lovely cousin Kate in London who is a very talented knitwear designer herself. Backlund's exaggerated and complex work fascinates me.
 
"I improvise and allow myself to lose control and see what happens if I do not think so much about practical things. The human body is always the starting point. I am really fascinated by all the ways you can highlight, distort and transform the natural silhouette of the body."

She builds the garments by hand from basic "bricks" which she multiplies and attaches to each other in different ways. Her Fall '09/10 collection lookbook "Control-C" is stunning.
 

No comments: